Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Warm up Wednesday

So since a lot of you are getting snow and ice (pretty much anywhere outside the state of Florida) I figured I'd share my latest crock pot attempt at something to warm you up.
I found this recipe on Pinterest courtesy of http://elleandelleblog.com, a very nice blog with a little bit of something for everyone. Of course I changed it a little bit but it came out rather well. Of course I forgot to take a picture until hubby was on his second bowl.

Creamy Salsa Chicken Crockpot Recipe
(This is the recipe straight from the blog, I noted the changes I made.)

  • 1.5 lbs of boneless chicken breasts * I used a package we had on hand which was 2.36lbs. It made a lot of chicken but I love me some extra chicken.
  • 1 jar of organic/natural salsa * I used a 15.5oz jar of Tostitos mild since that's what we had on hand.
  • 1 can of corn 
  • 1 can of black beans 
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning * I used mild but you can use hot if want a little more of a kick
  • 1/2 block of fat-free cream cheese * I used a whole block, came out super creamy.
  • Rice of choice OR taco shells/tortillas * I used white rice but I'd love to try it in a lettuce wrap.
Steps to Perfection:
  1. Thaw chicken breasts + arrange in bottom of crockpot
  2. Dump jar of salsa over chicken
  3. Add cream cheese, corn, seasoning, and black beans to crockpot
  4. Cook on high for 5 hours, stirring occasionally
  5. While still in crockpot, shred chicken with a fork
  6. Serve over rice, or on taco shells/tortillas
  7. Add lettuce, sour cream, cheese, and your favorite toppings

It came out pretty good for my first attempt. I even used it as a dip with some Ritz crackers which was tasty. As good as it was I think next time I'll add hot sauce and use a hot salsa to mix it up a little bit. Perhaps I'll even make some creamy chicken nachos, throw it on some tortilla chips and add some mexican blend shredded cheese. Then throw it in the oven to melt the cheese and voila! Chicken nacho deliciousness, oh yea.

If you have any easy crockpot recipes to share please feel free! I love anything that I can just throw all together and cook without much fuss.


No comments:

Post a Comment